Saturday, February 10, 2024

Rabbit, Run - John Updike ------------------- 1.5 Stars

Rabbit, Run has been on my "to read" list for a very long time. Released in 1960, this book made Updike quite famous and is regarded as a "brilliant and poignant" piece of writing. Well, clearly not in my opinion. Though, I should give credit before bashing this book too much. Updike is a super writer and often I felt like I was reading poetry rather a novel (which may also be part of why I disliked it so much). And while I am about to critique the book below, I do acknowledge that it was written over 60 years ago so some of themes and challenges the main character was going through (and the massive amount of privilege he didn't even realize he enjoyed) perhaps were more timely back in 1960.

Short synopsis (from Amazon b/c it's just easier) - "Its hero is Harry “Rabbit” Angstrom, a onetime high-school basketball star who on an impulse deserts his wife and son. He is twenty-six years old, a man-child caught in a struggle between instinct and thought, self and society, sexual gratification and family duty—even, in a sense, human hard-heartedness and divine Grace."

Even this synopsis bothers me. "Hero" - wow, I would certainly not consider this character a hero (and bet most you don't either based even on the short description above). He's actually an incredibly unlikable person; and unfortunately, nearly the whole novel is about him. Perhaps it was because I just read Razorblade Tears which couldn't have been more different. Written last year (and, admittedly, more violent), this book takes on modern challenges - like race, sexuality, socio-economic conflicts, etc. with so much relevance (at least to me) than any parts or Rabbit, Run. And, perhaps, way more important, again, at least to me - that book was super enjoyable to read!  Unlike this book, which I felt like I had to get through in case of, perhaps, a great ending (spoiler alert - also terrible!).

I was actually so conflicted after finishing this book and went to the internet to learn more. Was I really this off? How does this book have 4 stars on Amazon and is so well known?  I actually found two separate articles that helped me better resolve my misunderstanding.

First, is this book review that explains some of the legitimate (again, at least for me), why this book is well regarded. 

Second, is this Guardian article that made me so pleased to find and read as it helped to elucidate my thinking after finishing the book. While this article especially focuses on the implicit misogyny throughout the novel, I am sure there are plenty of other viewpoints that could be found throughout the internet questioning a variety of dated themes of this novel.

Ultimately I leave it up to others to decide. I am sure this book is taught in many college classrooms across the country to learn more about the beauty of writing: I just really worry about what other lessons it may be teaching too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment