Thursday, October 12, 2023

The Art Thief: A True Story of Love, Crime, and a Dangerous Obsession - Michael Finkel ----------------- 3 Stars

The Art Thief recently was released and seemed like a book that I would really enjoy. Even by the title alone, one could see why it seems like a great read. And, while I did enjoy the story for the most part, I didn't find the book met the expectations I had for it.

So, the story was unknown to me and actually pretty unbelievable. This book is about the most prolific art thief in modern times (or ever?). Beginning about 20 years ago and carrying out over 200 heists of 8 years, this book chronicles his life. 

As a whole, I enjoyed the story immensely. Partly this is because I knew nothing about these crimes and also because it was so interesting to learn about the life and mindset of the man responsible for these crimes. Also interestingly, because this book is so recent, the author takes you up to almost the present in understanding the current status of the main characters of the story. It also makes clear (as much as possible) the status of the many, many pieces of art that were taken.

While the story is fantastic, and almost beyond belief, I thought the telling was just average. While there was nothing wrong with the book and the author did an acceptable job of retelling the story, I felt it was pedestrian in many ways. Amazingly, he spent over 40 hours speaking with the art thief and learning all about his crimes and story. And, even with that amazing direct access, I found the book never captured my excitement the way it could have. No cliffhanger chapter endings and nothing that left me agog. This isn't to take away at all from this incredible tale; I just felt it could have been told in an even better way.

I still recommend this book strongly. It's an easy read and a good book. And, even though only 3 stars, it's an engaging read from start to finish. It's possible I just had too high of an expectation for this book. Perhaps you should take a read for yourself and see what you think! 🧐 



No comments:

Post a Comment