Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Road -- Cormac McCarthy --------- 1.5 STARS

Oh how this book sucked, let me count the ways.... I recently finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road, it was, how do you say, pretty much awful. I wanted to like it, I really did, but after finishing it, it just was so dreadful I could not.

I read McCarthy's No County for Old Men recently. It was decent but this book pales in comparison, that's not a good thing. I have really tried to like Cormac McCarthy... he is this old dude, whose got this ruffian, I miss the good old days attitude, but after two books I think I am done with him.

The book starts off sad and boring, moves through continuing that theme and eventually you get to the ending and he doesn't keep you guessing.... MORE SAD AND BORING.

Although he does a great job describing the two main characters and vividly recalling each scene the plot was just not for me. Besides the downer plot of post-apocalyptic Earth, I just could not get into the whole idea of the book.

The best part was when I finished. This was not so much because I finally finished it (though I was quite happy) but because I was able to reflect upon it. I am pretty sure it's one of those books with symbols, themes and all sorts of "deep ideas". Unfortunately I don't teach English and am not a literature critic so must of that stuff is lost on me. I read for entertainment and getting something out of the book. I didn't get much of either.

They are said to be making a movie about the book. I bet it will be better than the book, but really, pretty much anything in comparison would be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment