Wednesday, August 28, 2024

The Club Dumas Paperback –Arturo Perez-Reverte ----------------- 3 Stars

On my "To Read' list" for a number of years was The Club Dumas, and I was finally able to get to it this summer. While it came highly suggested as a great mystery novel, I did struggle with the book in a number of ways. Nonetheless, it was a decent read that kept me engaged.

In many ways, this book reminded me of those many Dan Brown novels that were such huge hits, beginning with The Da Vinci Code (reviews of a couple others I read here). Similarly, this book is basically a detective story based on old artifacts and old books. This one, as you could probably figure from the name, had many references to Alexander Dumas, and his classic book - The Three Musketeers.  Besides having numerous references to this book, this novel also noted about a dozen other older manuscripts, including many that had to do with occult. 

Perhaps most unfortunately for me, I never read The Three Musketeers or any of the other books mentioned. I think that would have been helpful to me as there were large parts of the story I had no idea what was going on. In fact, after finishing it, I am still not sure what happened in the story. Besides having many dark parts and a lot of violence, it really was a challenging book to follow that left me fairly unsatisfied after concluding. 

But, it still earned 3 stars as my reviews are based on entertainment value and engagement. And, well, this book was awfully engaging when reading it. The pace was fast and the story did read like a well put together mystery novel. And, even though I didn't really know what was going for many parts, the main character was pretty interesting and his escapades to solve the mystery were pretty fun to go along with. 

I'm not sure I can recommend this book strongly but for some readers who really like a good mystery store and/or have good knowledge of Dumas' work, this might be a good read for you (though you've probably already picked up by now). If you are looking for a light beach read, though, this is likely not for you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment